Kayenta and Monument Valley By Carolyn O’Bagy Davis and Harvey Leake, Foreword by Richard Paul Mike
Shipping calculated at checkout.
In December 1910, Indian traders John and Louisa Wetherill opened their trading post—with a tent for supplies (and sleeping) and a store counter of boards laid across two barrels. From that modest beginning, Kayenta became the center of Navajo gatherings and exploring expeditions to Rainbow Bridge, Monument Valley, and the grand cliff dwellings in Tsegi Canyon. Soon came a parade of visitors, including authors, painters, and archaeologists, as well as cowboys, miners, traders, and tourists. The Kayenta Township today is home to descendants of the early inhabitants and the hub for thousands of annual visitors from around the world who come to see the magnificent region known as Monument Valley.